Thursday, March 29, 2012

What's in your mailbox?

Twice a year I start to get excited about checking my mailbox. For a few weeks a year, that box is less about bills and more about fun. When The Bounty Hunter Catalog arrives, it’s time to celebrate. The heart of my excitement stems from the fact that I know that my friends and family (who also subscribe) are getting this little nugget of joy and soon we will begin a series of informal conversations about wine; what’s new, what’s hot and what’s tasting soooo good.

Over the course of the season I get to know the catalog by visiting and revisiting it – like a trusted friend, I always come back to it and get something new and wonderful to take away. For me, the catalog is like reading the Sunday newspaper – it’s a worthwhile investment of time. Packed with gems and jewels, it’s a treasure trove to discover what fits me and the way I like to enjoy wine (which admittedly is early and often).

So, where to start for this catalog…
The Gaja Grappa is wonderfully grapey and smells purely of the essence of harvest.
The ’08 Laird Napa Valley Cab is speaking my language in a brooding, whisky laden breath.
Holy crap – ’09 Columbia Crest “H3- Les Chevaux” rocked my world – voluptuous, pleasure-filled and at a great price.
Merlot is hot again – Shafer ’09 is intense, powerful and beautifully expressive... a Cab drinkers Merlot!

--Katy Long
Wine Educator

No comments:

Post a Comment