Thursday, March 10, 2016
On top of Spring Mountain road, just above the town of St. Helena, lays Fisher Vineyards; a small, family-owned winery with acres and acres of vineyards surrounded by luscious forests and wildlife.
Bounty Hunter was lucky enough this week to be hosted at the winery to explore the grounds, and taste their delicious wines.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by the winery’s dog, Sake, an Akita who was as sweet and friendly as he was big! After Sake had his share of us petting him, we walked up to meet Cameron Fisher, the young scion of the Fisher family, and the guide for our tour.
As we hiked up the pathway, Cameron explained to us that Fisher Vineyards, which was founded by her parents in 1973, was fortunate enough to straddle two growing regions: Napa Valley and Sonoma County. The Napa Valley Estate fruit is sourced from the Coach Insignia, Cameron, Lamb Vineyard and the RCF Vineyard. The Spring Mountain Estate fruit (on the Sonoma side) comes from the Wedding Vineyard, Whitney’s Vineyard, Mountain Estate Vineyard, and the Hidden Terrace Vineyard.
Atop the mountain, the views of these vineyards, and the Valley below, are breathtaking. Everywhere you look you see vineyards and clusters of trees in between.
2013 Mountain Estate Chardonnay
· 100% Chardonnay, aged 18 months in French oak barrels (35% new)
· Hints of honeydew melon, lemongrass and vanilla on the nose
· The palate shows flavors of lemon and honeyed apple expanding the palate for a nice smooth finish
2012 Mountain Estate Cabernet
· 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc, 9% Merlot, 3% Petite Verdot
· Aged 21 months in French oak barrels (85% new)
· Well balanced with medium tannins
· Sweet red cherries and rose petals on the finish
2012 Coach Insignia Cabernet
· 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 3%Petit Verdot, 2%Cabernet Franc
· Aged 21 months in 100% French Oak (95% new)
· A juicy palate with flavors of blackberry and dark cherries, with a hint of tobacco and espresso
· Layered tannins with a supple finish
2012 Lamb Vineyard Cabernet
· 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
· Aged 21 months in French oak barrels (100% new)
· 245 cases produced
· Dark cherries, plums and spices on the palate
· Velvet texture and elegance on the finish
Altogether, the wines were excellent with silky textures and smooth velvety tannins.
After sipping on some delicious wine, we got a little surprise from Cameron’s sister, Whitney, who is co-founder of Mad Fritz Brewing Company in St. Helena. Whitney shared her 2015 Ambassador Golden Ale, inspired by the extended Fisher Family their loyal Ambassadors. Brewed with water from Fisher Vineyards and aged in Chardonnay French oak barrels, this French- Style saison is a golden delight on the palate!
A huge Thank You to Fisher Vineyards for a wonderful day. Our wine team is excited to be selling your wine and sharing our great experience with our customers!
Have we enticed you to try this Spring Mountain beauty? Pick up a bottle of the 2012 Coach Insignia Cabernet Sauvignon here.
Labels: On the Trail